Oh. My. Goodness. I am beyond excited for this trip and the possibilities that it holds for our family, but I have been somewhat hesitant to actually write about it here.
Casey has been interviewing via telephone and email for what feels like forever with a company in Woods Cross, Utah that seems great. They seem to be hard working, honest and genuinely kind people – things we have desperately been trying to find in an employer throughout our search. It is not easy to impress my husband, but they seem to have done it. They have extended us an offer to fly up to Utah during the first week of March so that we can see the area over the weekend together, and then so that Casey can go to their office and shop for two week days. I am so grateful and honored to be included in that invite. They have purchased me a plane ticket, hotel room and rental car for our time there – my heart is so heavy and full of thanks.
As most of you already know, Casey has been interviewing all over the country this past year and this is the very first time that he has committed to actually flying out to visit a potential employer. He just has that good of feeling about these guys. After accepting the position he currently holds with this other company who has immoral, illegal and unprofessional practices, he is being much more cautious in his search for a new employer. Wherever we go now is where we want to stay forever, or as close to it as we can. Casey takes his commitments and his work seriously. It is important to us that it be a good company filled with good people who have a similar work ethic as Casey. This company seems to be it.
I have several concerns, though, and so I am trying very hard not to get overly excited. At this point, i guess, anything can still happen. My biggest concern is financial. This move would require us to walk away from the new house we just started building – obviously resulting in a loss. It would require a huge relocation expense, a deposit on a rental property and then a large downpayment on a permanent home – something we are totally unprepared for. While the homes there are beautiful (and they have basements! wow!) but they also seem to be much much much more expensive than their Texas counterparts. Remember how I bought my first house here when I was a teenager? It took alot of hard work, but, really, homes are just honestly affordable here. Also, Utah has a state tax, where Texans don’t. I’m also concerned about being so far away from our friends and family – our support system. Neither of us have ever lived outside of Texas. Our children not having their grandparents 5 minutes away or an uncle who is a professional mechanic within walking distance that can fix my car, or play dates with cousins just a short drive away… Scarey.
With any move I think those concerns are standard, and that is really why we haven’t seriously considered any of the other companies that Casey has interviewed with – we knew they wouldn’t at least match his current salary and offer a big enough relocation package and/or sign on bonus to make it do-able. We are not at all greedy people and I think our financial expectations are reasonable – ALL we really want a safe and comfortable life for our small children. Casey will do anything for us to have that.
I think if it is the right opportunity for our family ALL of the details will work out in the way that we need them too. So, i’m trying to let go of any fear or hesitation I have. In fact, I have already scheduled an appointment with a realtor, a brother of a friend of mine from the Wheatstone ward, for one of the days I am in town. It is so hard not to get excited. My oldest child is even thrilled at the idea of having four real seasons instead of warm, hot, hotter and hunker-down-its-hurricane-time. ;)
The more I look at photos of Utah, and speak to my friends who have lived there the more I actually WANT to go. Casey’s current job is unappreciative of his skillset and is tied to some very bad practices… It just seems like the right thing to do in this season of our lifes. As strange as it feels to admit this, I think it is actually perfect timing. Even with all of the reasons *not* to go, it just feels right.
I have said it before and I will say it again, I know I am part of a bigger purpose and a greater plan and I know that it can take me anywhere… Maybe even Woods Cross, Utah!test Filed under Financial Peace, OUR CRAZY LIFE CHANGING JOURNEY!, being a mother, family, fast and testimony, hope, how it started, photos, prayer requests, scarey stuff!, time change, what i'm doing... | Comments (4)